Re: [NTLK] freak iBook storm and the man it affected

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 00:44:45 EDT

>The list does have an archive, and a nice one at that...
>
>http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/
>
>(yes, I know it's not searchable... yet.)

Victor-

If you don't have time to set one up a search engine CGI the way you want
right now, there are several free find services, such as (go figure)
"freefind.com" and others (also try www.atomz.com, not sure if that's
right, though.) The price is right, it's VERY FAST to set up, and even
somewhat customizable (graphics, background colors, etc.)

I use freefind.com for Info-Newt. It can index a whole site or a
subsection. I do THAT on info-newt too; I have a search engine for the
FAQ, and another for the whole site INCLUDING the FAQ. Except for the
ftp site folder (which is also www.info-newt.com/archives/) as there are
very few text files in the ftp/archive area to index usefully.

It re-indexes my site once a day.

Plus, if you want to make a Sherlock/Hemlock search plug-in, feel free to
steal and modify the one I did for Info-Newt. Wouldn't take much work to
change it. You'd just have to change a URL or two, and maybe a name.

 - Bill