[NTLK] Another Apple/Newton Rumor

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 12:40:58 EDT

> From: Loren Finkelstein <Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:42:58 -0400
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Another Apple/Newton Rumor
>

> While I agree that the Newton OS is phenomenal, I wouldn't be so quick to
> dismiss OS X. Have you tried it at all. Even though it is in it's early
> stages, it is very nice. Rather than shutting down my computer, I put it to
> sleep, and it wakes up just as fast as my Newton does.

If Apple manages to run OS X on a PDA they'll receive *screaming, jumping,
kicking* ovations.
The thing is way to slow at the current state, but it will work out.
Putting it on a PDA would mean *major* cut-downs.

> When WinCE first came out it was ridiculous. They tried to put a desktop OS
> on a palmtop and implemented it badly.
>
> However, with PocketPC, Microsoft has come a long way. It works well, and
> is very tempting.

You consider this to be tempting?
A good friend of mine owns a Compaq iPaq, and he can work it pretty well.
I can't at all.
I can't write on it, I struggle with orientating myself within the GUI.
This OS is HORRIBLE at its current state, and this is supposed to be
*improved*? How much worse could it possible be?
It has its advantages, as color-3D racing games are quite funny, I admit,
and easy infrared connetion to a cellphone is nice as well.
But you have to pay big bucks even for the dumbest of games and tools as
well, the battery drain is high, and once you loose the battery, your data
bytes the dust.
Coming down to plain usability, it can't compete.

> But, I still won't get one because they have no Macintosh
> compatibility.

My friend is actually getting an iBook the next days, so he has to keep one
of the beige plagues in working condition to sync his PDA.

Regards,

Oliver :)

--
Wait! We can't stop here! This is BAT COUNTRY!