Re: [NTLK] Newton Book Resources (was: ANN: Memento Mori NewtBook)

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 19:56:33 EDT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:05:05 -0500, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >The one resource that seems to be overlooked a LOT is Paperback by David

> >Fedor, one of the original Newton team. It's available at
>
> I didn't know David Fedor was on the Newton team. Cool.
>
> <snip>
>
> >I've put a bunch of books into it...no hassles. Nothing like a bit of
> >William Gibson or Tom Clancy in the airport to while the time...

That's why I've got it: just drop your ascii-files on the icon and you've
got a nice "standalone" .pkg: as soon as I get any good stuff written I'll
get it posted someplace.

> >Regards,
> >
> >Gary
>
> Ah...another alt.binaries.e(-)book(s) devotee?

I picked up another format book, wicca.pkg: it downloaded a treat but, when
I tried to read, I just got this error message about screen size.

> It's NICE to be able to have a sizeable chunk of my paper library always
> with me. Mostly on my Palm unit (Handera 330) recently as it has a much
> nicer, clearer and larger screen than the other PalmOS units do. Also a

> much larger memory card (I have a 128MB CF card -- you can get as much as

> a 1GB card) and I also have a 32MB SD/MMC card (can go up to 128MB SD
> cards currently).
>
> I've created and read quite lot of e-books with PaperBack on my Newton,
> too. The even brighter backlight and larger screen is excellent for
> e-books (one of the things I still use my Newton for!) The Newton's
> books don't compress as well as the palm's do, though. Due to Unicode,

I got an UniCode book from the Newton Library: shame I still haven't a clue
how to get into it!

> probably.
>
> Fedor's PaperBack rocks!

True! (/;-)>

> Now if I could just find The Hunt For Red October as an e-book. Or
> Brin's Sundiver or The Uplift War (got the rest of his Uplift books....)
>
> - Bill

John Johnson.