[NTLK] AW: printing on HP 5 MP

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 03:03:21 EDT

Laurent,
I have worked with the HP 5 MP some time ago. This was especially in an environment with Windozes and a few Macs.
I connected my Newt via (the old) LocalTalk to Ether Bridge PowerNexus from GDTSoftworks.
The aim was to connect all of them to the HP printer.
As far as I remember the solution was to buy a printserver plug-in module for the HP, because the Printer came "naked" only with parallel Centronics interface as usual (ok, nowadays more often you will find the stupid USB).
The plug-in module worked great, provided connectivity to Ethernet, supported AppleTalk and IP protocol. Also a LocalTalk interface was included. The printer could be set to service both, parallel and LocalTalk interfaces - first come first serve.
What I have not seen in all the set-up procedures was to setup the printer to a pure serial connection.
And if you remember - that was the great concept of Apple: as soon as you had a (LocalTalk) Printer on your Mac, you have built your first mini-network (Local Talk Net or Phone Net). Thus it was no problem at all, to extend your little network to connect other Macs (or Newts) to the Printer. Try to do this with a Centronics printer in the DOS world ...
That is to say that I would not expect a pure serial connection. The time for serial printer connections in the DOS world has gone lone time ago and regarding the Mac - see above.
So I suggest to use either an Ethernet Card in the Newt or an LocalTalk to Ether Bridge. There is another solution available from Farallon, it is called iPrint Adapter.
http://www.farallon.com/products/ether/adapters/iprintadapter.html
This might be an alternative to the AsanteTalk Bridge.

Regards
Johannes

OK, just a little clarification here, because I think there is some
miscommunication. AppleTalk is the protocol. LocalTalk is the physical
layer. Like EtherTalk, which is also AppleTalk, but on Ethernet.

So, what I was asking is whether the printer supports serial
connections. If it supports AppleTalk, and if it doesn't have any
10BaseT jack, then it's obviously supporting LocalTalk (AppleTalk on the
LocalTalk cabling), which is why there is a DIN-8 jack there. But, if
the printer already supports AppleTalk, it might as well support serial,
since both are pretty close, AppleTalk being a bit more "intelligent"
than serial, which just transmits data. So, back to my original
question, does the printer support serial connection? If not, then the
only way to go will be, indeed, a LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge, like
AsanteTalk.

-Laurent.