[NTLK] Newtsquawk

From: Lonsethbill_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 13:57:15 EDT

Has anyone else had this happen? I stupidly (this may be a factor - it says
on page 2 not to do this) left my mp100 sitting on the dashboard of my car
while driving along on a fairly warm (for Oregon) day - it might have been
about 80F ambient and of course *lots* hotter on the dash... Anyway, I
noticed a kind of frantic squawking/buzzing/squealing noise coming from the
dashboard and thought my speedometer was about to pack it in, but on closer
inspection found that the noise was coming from my little green pal!

I grabbed it off the dash, blew on it to try and cool it off
(mouth-to-Newt-resuscitation?), and checked, and it told me that as far as it
was concerned, it was 104F (!), which as I recall is the temperature ceiling
for these units. The noise stopped, and all seems to be well, but it scared
me and got me to thinking - did Apple actually include some kind of audible
warning for overheating? It seems possible, knowing Apple, but then again it
may just have been some anomaly of the hardware. Anyone know?

BTW, don't try this at home, kids!

Bill Lonseth