[NTLK] Abandonware News

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 17:01:37 EDT

Hello,

more from the "abandonware" front:

I have been trying to get in contact with SCET who used to produce/sell
eBase (a very basic database autopart for NewtWorks). SCET was bought out
by/merged with
LTScotland, and it seems that nobody there really has a clue what software
SCET used to have.

Here's a quick run-down of my correspondence:

A person named Mark replied to my initial query about eBase, telling me
that it is a software produced by some other company. Well, that is true;
there is some E-base for desktop computers, but this is a completely
unrelated piece of software. After contacting that company, and finding
that out, I tried to contact Mark again, but I haven't received any news
from him since. It's been over two weeks now.

On the other hand, what I did find out, by poking around in the remnants of
SCET's website, is that eBase is still available as a demo download.

I also found out that an other piece of software for the Newton OS 2.1 that
SCET produced is also still available as a demo: Writer's Toolkit. This is,
similar to eBase, also aimed at the education market/middle school & high
school students' needs.

Both demo version DO NOT time out, but they have severe limitations.

eBase only allows the creation of databases (limitation of # of entries ???
-- I don't know yet) but not the printing or beaming of these entries (the
full version probably lets you export to FileMaker or other database apps).

Writer's Toolkit demo is also very limited, allowing only one mode of
entries (with different fields, though) and no print or export function
either; it does not even have the possibility to delete an entire entry.

Here's what the Writer's Toolkit "blurb" says:

Writer's Toolkit Demonstration Version

Writer's Toolkit is an application which helps students to develop their
writing skills. Help is given with various different types of writing; in
this demonstration version the student is guided through writing a report
on a visit.

Writer's Toolkit takes a structured approach to writing; students are
encouraged to start by making notes. From these notes they then develop a
structure for their writing. Next they are encouraged to expand on the
individual notes before checking that the punctuation and spelling are
satisfactory. The completed piece of writing can then be formatted using
simple word processor facilities. As a final stage students are encouraged
to think about what they have done.
<<<<

And this is what the eBase "blurb" says:

eBase from SCET

eBase is a simple database program which allows pupils to store, organise
and display information. This demonstration version has most of the
features of the full version, but you will not be able to print out your
work, or export it to a desktop computer.

Once installed, eBase becomes an integrated part of NewtonWorks so, to
create a new database, make sure you're in NewtonWorks then tap New and
select Database from the list of options.
<<<<

I'm still waiting for a reply (of whatever kind) on my latest eMails.

In the meantime you may download these two demo versions from their website:

eBase:

<ftp://ftp.LTScotland.com//FTP/pub/software/demos/emate/ebase.hqx>
or
<ftp://ftp.LTScotland.com//FTP/pub/software/demos/emate/ebase.zip>

(each around 72 K)

Writer's Toolkit:

<ftp://ftp.LTScotland.com//FTP/pub/software/demos/emate/wtoolkit.hqx>
or
<ftp://ftp.LTScotland.com//FTP/pub/software/demos/emate/wtoolkit.zip>

(each around 96 K)

I'll let you know if I get a reply on my recent queries. And if not:
Anybody who has the full working version of any of those two pieces of
software: let me know. The demo versions CANNOT be unlocked with a code;
you need to have the full "un-demo" app to use all the features.

More abandonware news as they become available.

Otto

PS: If you want to reply to this posting: PLEASE don't quote the entire
text. Thanks.