Re: [NTLK] uMP2000/2100 vs. eMate

From: Mark Ross (markross13_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 10:23:34 EDT

>Dear All,
> I am currently in graduate school and have become enamored with the
>flexibility of the UMP2000/2100. Specifically I like that I can take all my
>lecture, seminar, and conference notes (including graphical and scientific)
>via the HWR and screen, as well as be able to work on papers and thesis
>directly on the machine.
>
> While I am familiar with the abilities of the UMP2000 I have never seen
>thus used an eMate and was wondering what the consensus of this NUG might be
>to which unit (uMP2000/2100 or eMate) would be better suited to a student
>especially since I cannot afford a laptop and, again, am very lured by being
>able to take notes directly into the machine...
>
>Thank you all,
>
>Sam

Sam,

While the MP2X00's are much faster than the eMate (25 MHz vs. 160 MHz
processors) the eMate may still be the best choice for your application.
It is designed to be abused and has an internal keyboard which is far
easier than HWR to enter accurate notes during a class. If you include
its "laptop" form factor for easy note taking in class where you may not
have much of a desk in a lecture hall as well as it being easier to read
the screen in poor lighting while you are writing on it will probably
make it a better choice. It was specifically designed for the education
market.

Mark Ross
markross13_at_home.com