Re: [NTLK] uMP2000/2100 vs. eMate

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 14:04:17 EDT

At 02:02 AM 7/21/01, Samuel Jacobson quoth:
>I am currently in graduate school and have become enamored with the
>flexibility of the UMP2000/2100.
>[snip]!
>While I am familiar with the abilities of the UMP2000 I have never seen
>thus used an eMate and was wondering what the consensus of this NUG might be
>to which unit (uMP2000/2100 or eMate) would be better suited to a student
>especially since I cannot afford a laptop and, again, am very lured by being
>able to take notes directly into the machine...

I have used both, as a professional (something) and as a student. I
very much lean towards the eMate as a good newton for students. It's
a great word processor and calendar, and the flexibility is much
higher in my opinion. For example you have everything right where you
need it and can jump between tasks without having to carry an extra
dongle or keyboard. That being said, the size is also a limiting
factor. It's a rather large sub notebook, and the speed is an issue,
as is the memory unless you can find one of the increasingly rare
memory upgrades on ebay or here.

I used mine for many things, and found it very useful to have with
me, and it didn't feel worried about having it in my backpack like I
would my laptop, but now that I'm not in school as much I find a 2K
unit to be that much more useful, as I don't need a keyboard as often
and the dual memory cards is a definite plus, and with the addition
of the SER-001 it's got everything I need for day to day computing in
a much smaller form factor.

My emate still sits next to my favorite chair to type out a story or
letter or a quick email check, but my 2K goes everywhere with me. the
long and short of it is, different things for different people, and
only by comparing the two can you really decide which is right for
you.

later,

--
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com

Newton Connections: The most obsessively updated Newton news site on the web: http://mail.jcsarchitects.com/~ben

Newton: Still intelligent after all these years.