Re: [NTLK] newbie needs help

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 14:28:47 EDT

On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 01:54 PM, Andrew C. Rempt wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am brand new to the Newton world, having recently bought a very
> nice Newton 130. I've been lurking this list since the 130 arrived,
> and I have found it to be very helpful. Now here's my problem.
>
> I can't get the Newt to connect with my Mac. I bought a generic
> serial cable, and I dowloaded and installed NBU 1.0, but when I try
> to initialize the connection on the 130, it does the barber pole and
> tells me that there was no response.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is nothing using the Mac's serial port,
> so I'm at a loss here. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this, so I
> would appreciate any help.
>
> I'm using a Wallstreet II PowerBook running 9.0.4, by the way.
>
> Also, is there anyway to mount a Newton formatted flash RAM on a Mac,
> so I can just drag packages over?

Sorry to say, but your cable must not be a real serial cable. You need
to make sure it's labeled as a serial cable, unless you didn't select
serial on your Newton to initiate the connection, but I doubt it. Make
sure you first launch NBU on your Mac. Check the settings. One thing you
could try would be to select "AppleTalk". AppleTalk can work over a
serial cable and would provide much faster speeds (230K bits) as opposed
to serial (57.6 Kbits). Then, on your 130, launch the "Dock"
application. Make sure you select "AppleTalk" for "Connect via". Then,
tap "Connect to" and select "Other computer". A little window should pop
up and you should see your Macintosh's name there (the name you gave in
the File Sharing control panel). If you can't see anything there, then
most likely you don't have the right cable, as this works right out of
the box.

-Laurent.