Re: [NTLK] Revelar is closing the shop

From: Paul Grothaus (pgrothaus_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 16:42:55 EDT

on 7/27/01 3:42 AM, Richard G. DAVIS wrote:

> Do you know is this software package is RESTRICTED to the use of the serial
> connection ONLY. Or, can AppleTalk be used, or even better, can an Ethernet
> connected Newton be used with the RCU packages?
>
> It is too bad if this nice suite of functionality is confined to a 9600 baud
> serial connection.

 Unfortunately, it is serial only for the 2100. I believe that the earlier
version of RCU supports appletalk but since I only have a 2100, I have never
tried the earlier version.

On the other hand, RCU and Notable (a stripped down version of RCU which
only supports Notes on the Newton) are great programs for viewing and
manipulating (some) of the data on your Newton. You can view, edit, delete,
file, etc. information in the Newton's Notes and calendar apps. However some
apps such as the In/Out box are locked, information can be viewed but not
manipulated. Third party apps are also supported if the developer provided
an Application Definition Format (ADF) file. Revelar provides several of
these and claims that they are easy to write for any Newton application. In
my experience though, some of the provided ADF files do not work correctly.
The most notable example is the one for PocketMoney. The data does not show
up properly and RCU is useless for managing PocketMoney data. I keep
thinking of dusting off my programming skills (?) which I haven't used for
15+ years to see if I could repair the PM ADF, however, this task is far
down in priority on my extensive to do list.

If anyone knows how to add Appletalk capability to RCU, I for one would be
grateful.

Aloha,

Paul Grothaus