[NTLK] Low-level fun with the eMate

From: Sean Luke (seanl_at_cs.umd.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 21:24:42 EDT

I'm looking into the possibility of making an application that allows you
to map command key and hard key button presses to do nearly anything you
want, from typing a specific character string to launching an application
to doing a variety of interesting little tasks. It'd probably work both
from the eMate but also from the MP2K external keyboard.

So anyway, I'm poking around in the NTK inspector with the eMate to see
how the key commands are handled, and come across the most interesting
little item. I type in the following (pressing Enter at the end of each
line of course):

a := GatherKeyCommands(GetRoot());
for x:=0 to Length(a) do Print(a[x]);

...and the eMate dutifully prints out all of the "command keys" it has
entered, including its hard-button keyset. One particular entry caught my
eye:

{char: $\08, modifiers: 301989888, keyMessage: _keyButtonRebootScript,
        name: NIL, category: "General"}

WHAT THE HECK? $\08 is the backspace key. Which the eMate doesn't have!
It has delete ($\7f). Apparently, IF your eMate had a backspace key, you
could press command-backspace and reboot your Newton! With a polite
do-you-want-to-do-this message, of course. I couldn't figure out a key
combination to result in this. For kicks, try the following in the
inspector:

GetRoot():_keyButtonRebootScript(nil);

Anyone know that majick mojo key combination to bring up that sucker?
Here's another odd one:

{char: $\1B, modifiers: 1, keyMessage: _CloseFrontView, name: "Close",
        category: "Viewing"}

$\1B is the escape key. Which the Newton ALSO doesn't have! Unless it's
the "close" key on the top left. Anyone know for sure? I'd sure love to
remap that sucker too.

Sean