[NTLK] Basilisk II & Serial Ports.

From: Jake Bordens (jake_at_allaboutjake.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 23:12:53 EDT

Hey folks.

I've always been at a disadvantage in terms of newton development because
I'm a PC user. I've never been able to use the C++ tools, for example.

I use Basilisk now, and I have successfully developed using NTK. However,
I had to use the WinNTK inspector to download packages and debug. Now I'm
trying to try my hand at the C++ tools, and I'm going to need to use
NewtsBug. The comm problems I had with NTK are still there, and extend to
NewtsBug as well.

Here are the symtoms:

1. I have the modem port set to COM1:
2. Setting the debuging on the serial port allows me to actually connect t
NTK inspector within Basilisk for breif periods of time
before the connection drops.
3. I'm using a 1meg rom file and the NewtonDev package.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jake

---
After 5 years at Carnegie Mellon University,
I have (finally) graduated.  My new email address is:  jake_at_allaboutjake.com

-----Original Message----- From: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net [mailto:newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net]On Behalf Of newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 3:51 PM To: newtontalk digest users Subject: newtontalk Digest V1 #96

newtontalk Digest Sun, 29 Jul 2001 Volume: 01 Issue: 096

In This Issue: [NTLK] Door clips on back of MP200/2100 [NTLK] iMac/eMate Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate [NTLK] Test [NTLK] Slow Waba :-) Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... Re: [NTLK] SmallTalk [NTLK] recharging w/modem card in [NTLK] 4MB Flash Cards ALL SOLD OUT! Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportunities Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate Re: [NTLK] Door clips on back of MP200/2100 (no subject) Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate Re: [NTLK] Door clips on back of MP200/2100 Re: [NTLK] Back from vacation... Re: [NTLK] (no subject) Re: [NTLK] Slow Waba :-) Re: [NTLK] Looking for eMate 300 Re: [NTLK] Looking for eMate 300 Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #82 Re: [NTLK] Looking for an eMate 300 Re: [NTLK] Door clips on back of MP200/2100 Re: [NTLK] Looking for an eMate 300 Re: [NTLK] Newton DIL Tester help Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportunities

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 05:35:46 -0700 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... From: MacPhx <baphx_at_earthlink.net>

on 7/28/01 8:30 AM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:

>> Since I lost my Palm IIIv a while back, and I was able to "acuire" my Ne= wtMP >> 120, I was wondering how I could combine the operabilty of the current >> PalmOS with my MP. >>=20 >> Any suggestions for sw? >=20 > What "operability" do you mean? What is the functionality you're missing= ? > Do you mean sync-ing with the desktop? Or do you prefer Graffiti to > actually having the PDA learn YOUR handwriting (as opposed to the other w= ay > around)? If you give us the specifics about what capabilities you're mos= t > interested in duplicating (or, likely, exceeding) then I'm sure you're > likely to be flooded with suggestions and ideas. > - Eric.

Ok, thanks for the reminder; I need to be specific.

Here goes. I liked the ability to start to a screen which offered different apps that I could chose from. I want to have the ability to turn on my MP12= 0 and see what I have installed and pick from there=8BDate, Notepad, etc.

And I also prefer the Graffiti on the New PalmOS(not the one that Palm made for the Newton).

That is the operatbility that I want.

--=20 MacPhx Devoted/Addicted/Obsessed with Macintosh "The Phoenix will Rise" KillGates, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 08:50:57 -0400 From: Mark Rollins <mark_at_mrollins.com> Subject: [NTLK] Door clips on back of MP200/2100

While installing the screws to my SER001, I looked at, removed and reinstalled one of the door clips on back of my MP200U

I know these are unavailable from Apple.

I know a lot of people want these.

I know I could make a mold of these and cast them in resin.

Comments on legality (I'm thinking along the lines of "Scott Panels" to replace the rusted out rear quarters on 1960s Mustangs) --

Mark Rollins mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:52:04 +0200 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Who created the "newtonroger" logo?? From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>

on 7/28/01 6:26 PM, Jake Bordens at jake_at_allaboutjake.com wrote:

> Don't know who created it persay, but I want to say that Will Nelson of the > Newton Underground was the original author. The skull and crossbones flag > was one of the main images on the Underground.

I thought that Adam Tow designed it.?? -- -Jon Glass Krakow, Poland <mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net> <mailto:glasshaus5_at_aol.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:14:00 +0100 From: eMate 300 01 Jurgen Mintert <mintert_at_planet.nl> Subject: [NTLK] iMac/eMate

Hi out there, i will buy an iMac, BUT how to connect to the eMate?? As far as i can see, there is this ethernet connection, BUT the slot of an eMate/MP130 can only hold one card, that means i could not backup my memorycards---bad solution. The other thing is this "bekin/keyspam/smirnoff" adapter, that could allow an old fashion seriel/usb connection---BUT where are this things to buy ?? I worked about 16 years on my SE/30. I have to say goodby to a tool, that NEVER let me down in all this years (exept that i never was able to connect with appletalk) BUT there is this question that all my data has to be moved to the iMac. As far as it is now, the iMac has no 1.4MB drive. That could be walked around with this serial/usb ---BUT i never was able to get appletalk running on my SE/30(yes, i have these appletalk cable). So if there is a mercy soul out there that could give a dummy proof solution to me in the direction of an existing www. or will write one, i will be very thankful. An other question is, should i spend my last money to buy a 1.4MB drive, or should i spend it on a zip drive.

Til now i have this picture in front of me: On the left side of my desk is an SE30-40SC In the middle an eMate 300 AND an MP130 On the right side a new iMac DV Special Edition.

I need a bigger desk. Paul Filmer, are you back home?

Regards Jurgen Mintert mintert_at_planet.nl

------------------------------

From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael=20J.=20Hu=DFmann?=" <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:38:41 +0200

MacPhx (baphx_at_earthlink.net) wrote:

> I liked the ability to start to a screen which offered different > apps that I could chose from.

That's an easy one: open Extras, tap the "i" button, select "Memory Info", and tap on "Make 'Extras' the Backdrop".

> And I also prefer the Graffiti on the New PalmOS(not the one that Palm made > for the Newton).

Is there any difference between the two? Obviously, you can't have the Palm OS version on the Newton. I for one prefer the Newton's own HWR anyway.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:42:50 -0500 Subject: [NTLK] Another Case Solution for the Newton From: genghis <genghis_at_mac.com>

I was looking for a decent case for my Newt 2K and wife happened to pick up a pretty nice one when she was in San Francisco recently. It is made by Incase Designs (www.incasedesigns.com) You can see the model here :

http://store.yahoo.com/goincase/eblarhpccas.html

There are tons of pockets, zippered pocket for pens and styli, place for a standard notepad (if you want to use regular paper), and an outside zipper pocket (I put my Qualcomm 2760 thinphone). Decent padding, nice external handle, lightweight but roomy enough for all my junk.

------------------------------

From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael=20J.=20Hu=DFmann?=" <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de> Subject: Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:52:18 +0200

eMate 300 01 Jurgen Mintert (mintert_at_planet.nl) wrote:

> i will buy an iMac, BUT how to connect to the eMate?? > As far as i can see, there is this ethernet connection, BUT the slot of an > eMate/MP130 can only hold one card, that means i could not backup my > memorycards---bad solution.

That depends. I use the memory cards for storing NewtonBooks and applications exclusively, while all data (Newton Works documents, contacts, dates and stuff) is stored internally, along with online apps like SimpleMail (because for connecting to the internet, I have to replace the memory card by a modem). Anyway, because the stuff on my memory card is just apps and books, there's no need to ever backup the card. Instead, I keep a folder on my Mac, containing all the packages installed on the memory card.

> The other thing is this "bekin/keyspam/smirnoff" adapter, that could allow > an old fashion seriel/usb connection---BUT where are this things to buy ??

Every Apple dealer should carry these adapters.

> I worked about 16 years on my SE/30. I have to say goodby to a tool, that > NEVER let me down in all this years (exept that i never was able to > connect with appletalk) BUT there is this question that all my data has to > be moved to the iMac. As far as it is now, the iMac has no 1.4MB drive. > That could be walked around with this serial/usb ---BUT i never was able > to get appletalk running on my SE/30(yes, i have these appletalk cable).

A Belkin/Keyspan/etc. adapter wouldn't help you anyway, as the USB adapters only support serial connections, not LocalTalk. You might borrow a SCSI CD-R drive from someone and burn a CD with your data.

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:06:50 +0200 (MEST) From: Gary Moody <gmoody_at_gmx.net> Subject: [NTLK] Test

Please ignore...test

-- Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 08:15:01 -0700 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... From: MacPhx <baphx_at_earthlink.net>

on 7/29/01 7:38 AM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote= :

>=20 > MacPhx (baphx_at_earthlink.net) wrote: >=20 >> I liked the ability to start to a screen which offered different >> apps that I could chose from. >=20 > That's an easy one: open Extras, tap the "i" button, select "Memory > Info", and tap on "Make 'Extras' the Backdrop".

I just tried this and I cannot find the "i" button that you describe. I am using OS 1.3 . Should I upgrade to 2.0, or can I? --=20 MacPhx Devoted/Addicted/Obsessed with Macintosh "The Phoenix will Rise" KillGates, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:26:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Sean Luke <seanl_at_cs.umd.edu> Subject: [NTLK] Slow Waba :-)

DJ wrote:

> I would use Waba more if it didnt run dog slow on my OS 2.0 120. No > offense to the Waba team, you've done a remarkable job, but you should > see how slow the suck-o-meter is on this thing.

I have a 120 here at my office which I test Waba on. Yep, it's dog slow on 'em. Not too fast on an eMate either. Hey, but it works! Will we be able to speed things up? It remains to be seen.

There are two reasons for the slowness. First, the Newton has very poor access to low-level graphics. To draw a line, Waba must ask *NewtonScript*, another interpreter (!), to create a line object, then set up the graphics context, then draw the line. NewtonScript of course in turn asks the low-level C++ QuickDraw engine to do it. All this handshaking is very very expensive. The result here is that Waba for the MP2000 is slower than Waba for the Palm Pilot, at least when it comes to drawing. How do we fix this? We can't do much about that until Paul or someone else comes through with low-level access to QuickDraw. The other option is to write Waba apps that use real NewtonScript widgets, buttons, etc., rather than scribbling Palm-style ones on the screen. Waba can do that already, but most Waba apps are written for the Palm and WinCE, and not with the Newton in mind.

Second, it's interpreted code. On the Palm side of things they're working on a new project, called WabaJump, which compiles Waba bytecode directly to Motorola DragonBall machine code for the Palm Pilot. Runs much faster! Do I have the wherwithall to write a bytecode->ARM compiler? Heck no. But Palm has just announced that they're jumping to StrongARM, with the very distant possibility that WabaJump might just write the compiler for me. :-) We'll have to see. In the mean time, if you want to speed things up, join the development team and see what you can do to clean up the Waba code.

Sean

------------------------------

From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael=20J.=20Hu=DFmann?=" <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Putting on the asbestos suit.... Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:43:23 +0200

MacPhx (baphx_at_earthlink.net) wrote:

> I just tried this and I cannot find the "i" button that you describe. I am > using OS 1.3 . Should I upgrade to 2.0, or can I?

I guess that changing backdrops was introduced with NOS 2.0. An MP120 with NOS 1.3 ROMs can be upgraded to NOS 2.0, but I'm not sure these ROM chips are still available. If you can do the upgrade (and be it by buying an upgraded MP 120 or an MP130), you definitely should. NOS 2.0 was a huge improvement over 1.3, including HWR and overall speed. NOS 2.1 was even better, of course, but there's no upgrade path, short of buying an MP2000/2100 or eMate 300.

From: "John M. Powell" <iwillbefreedotcom_at_earthlink.net> Subject: Re: [NTLK] SmallTalk Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:54:51 -0500

Ok gang - I've been getting a number of requests from people interested in Small Talk, released to the Newton community from Concept Kitchen recently. After emailing it out a few times, I decided it made more sense to have it up on my web site. So... here it is!!

Go to www.iwillbefree.com . There is a link to the Newton page where you can dl the zip. Enjoy!

John Powell jp_at_iwillbefree.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:00:23 -0600 From: Dale Chapman <dchapman_at_compusmart.ab.ca> Subject: [NTLK] recharging w/modem card in

Last night I plugged in my MP2000u to recharge the battery. i happened to leave the modem card (USR Megahertz XJEM3336) in the slot and this morning the battery was not charged. - small heart attack as the computer was not wanting to even start up!

Then I tried plugging it in again - no change after a few hours - - then I removed the modem and suddenly the charge reading is %100! - what gives?

I know the battery is not yet 100% but i now know that it is charging.

anyone have similar experience? -- Dale Chapman dchapman_at_compusmart.ab.ca

~sometimes the seas are calm and that's wonderful. sometimes the seas are not calm and that's the way it is.~

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:16:34 -0400 Subject: [NTLK] Trouble connection Newton through TCP/IP From: Garrett Power <gettenripped_at_home.com>

I just got my 3com eithernet card in and when I want to go and connect the newton through tcp/ip it will not connect. I have the settings set in the dock settings for tcp/ip and so with the program for connecting to the newton on the pc. What can I be doing wrong? Help

Garrett

------------------------------

From: "Kevin LaCombe" <klacombe_at_ix.netcom.com> Subject: [NTLK] 4MB Flash Cards ALL SOLD OUT! Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:15:44 -0700

Thanks everyone for your interest in the cards. They are all gone.

For those of you who have paid/paying via Paypal, make your donation with Payapl at www.newtontalk.net/donations.

For those paying by other means, contact me after you receive the cards and I will help coordinate the donations. My initial thought was to have you send it to me and then I can Paypal the donation in your name. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Kevin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:17:39 -0400 Subject: [NTLK] Newtscape help From: Garrett Power <gettenripped_at_home.com>

When I surf the web with newtscape I can seem to view any of the jpeg. I have the jpeg package on the newton. Is there something I have to set up for it to show up right?

Garrett

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:27:07 -0500 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Trouble connection Newton through TCP/IP From: Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net>

What program on PC ? Most of the Newton PC programs don't/can't use TCP/IP.

Paul Nuernberger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:28:20 -0500 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newtscape help From: Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net>

IIRC you have to set Newtscape to show pictures in its options (don't remember where in options).

Paul Nuernberger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:32:38 -0400 From: James Elliott <rootbeeraddict_at_pop.vip.sc5.yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportunities

What you say is very true. I first heard about it on a technology show called Next Step. But that was before it was released, so they said that Apple was "working on it". I thought it never even went into production until Andy Ihnatko wrote an article called Newton's Ghost in the July Macworld. It was only then that I started to learn about it.

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:41 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: [NTLK] Missed commercial opportu. From: Woo Lee <vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net>

I wonder if $teve J. envisioned the 'threat' Newton OS was to Mac OS? It's year 2001, I still don't need a Mac laptop. If the MP2x00 series wasn't made in 1997, I would have bought a Powerbook in 1998, by then my MP130 would have given up it's ghost. ------------------ >while travelling. If they had >bothered to keep the Newton alive and had developed a Newton equivalent of >MacLink Plus and Adobe Acrobat, I don't think she would've even bothered >getting an iBook. Nothing comes close to what a trusty old Newton can do for >the equivalent of mass and portability. I sincerely hope that Steve Jobs ------------------

!ooW %-) My Newt. will still be productive way after the last Palm/Handspring is six-feet under. http://www.newtontalk.net

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:51:17 -0400 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Trouble connection Newton through TCP/IP From: Garrett Power <gettenripped_at_home.com>

I am using the DIL program both mac and pc. How do I install a package from the newtftp program?

Garrett

From: ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:54:43 EDT Subject: Re: [NTLK] iMac/eMate