[NTLK] AW: Building a PC serial cable

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:30:44 PDT

Dear Victor,

after reading all the opinions about the list I am happy to read a real issue again.
Solving your problem is very easy having the right tool: an electrical pass tester.
If you do not have such a device a simple battery, a view wires and a little light bulb will do the job: connect the lamp with one contact of the battery, connect one wire to the other end of the battery and one to the other contact of the light bulb. If both free ends of the wires are connected, the bulb will light - that is the indication that there is a connection.
Connecting one wire to a mini DIN pin and the other to the unknown wires on the lose end of the cable (one by one) will allow you to find out which wire is connected to which Pin on the Mini-Din.
Connecting the identified wires to the DB9 should be an easy task.
Have fun!

Johannes