Re: [NTLK] No longer supported software...

From: Marco Mailand (mmailand_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 08:20:46 PDT

> 2) Software that required reg codes. What do we do here with software that
> isn't supported anymore but requires codes? ...
There is always discussion coming up on this subject which ends up with the
statement that only the programmer is the owner of his product and may drop
every service whenever he wants (or may be needs to). But I think also in
the case of software there must exist some warranty definition, like with a
toaster: The company which produces a toaster has to deliver spare parts or
replacement units for a certain minimum time. I remember that the company I
worked for had to be able to deliver spares during 10 years for each
released product. If we apply something like this to software it would
simply mean: Minimum support during 10 (or may be less, but fixed number of)
years, that is giving new serial numbers OR release of the source code
respectively making it freeware. Is there a lawer under us Newtonians? Would
that be possible?

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse
Marco Mailand