Re: [NTLK] Working SER-001

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 13:57:41 PDT

Richard G. DAVIS has observed:

> > The only -slight- problem that I can see is that the board
> ever-so-slightly
> > pushes out the back of the Newton case. Not a lot - just
> enough to notice
> > if you look closely.

> Yes, I noticed that as well. I was interested to see that
> the instructions
> indicated that the two mounting screws are not needed. I was
> concerned
> since with the screws missing, the force of insertion and
> removal of the
> DIN-8 plug would be placed directly on the plug that joins
> the SER-001 to
> the main board.
>
> I was prepared to put in two screws anyway, then I noticed
> that the plug
> that mates the SER-001 to the Main Board prevents the SER-001
> board from
> becoming flush against the posts intended for the mounting
> screws. So I did
> not fasten the SER-001 board with screws after all.
>
> At that point I was worried about the back case being unable
> to clear the
> SER-001. After I re-assembled the unit, it was clear that
> the SER-001 is
> too high off the mother board, and the Newton case is
> distorted. Not much,
> but that stress, over time, can eventually provoke a failure
> in the plastic
> of the back cover plate. ...sigh, it is not a perfect
> world. Hopefully,
> that will come some long time in the future. It is just that
> I have had
> other electronic devices, both PC and Mac laptops fail in the
> same way due
> to persistent stresses on the plastic cases. So, just be
> alert for any
> signs of stress in the back case over the SER-001.
>
> Nonetheless, I am very impressed with the product, and appreciate the
> convenience it offers. Now, am I going to put the other
> SER-001 into my
> second MP-200???
>
> Good Show! David!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.

Whenever anything is designed retro-actively, one has to suffer
some compromise.
When I designed the SER-001, it was an important design goal
to use no special parts.
This I have achieved.

Space has always been a limiting factor here.
You are correct that the internal mounting boss is slightly
shy of the board. I was limited by the connector mated height.

After much experimentation, I decided that the SER-001 fitted
snugly enough to preclude the use of mounting screws.
But I left the holes in the board so that each person can
make their own decision about it.
A small washer will shim the space if you are so inclined.

As far as the case failing, I don't think that it will happen.
The case does touch the board but the contact is spread over
a relatively large area. This, coupled with the fairly
non-aggressive din plug, I believe is a fair compromise.

If I had my druthers, sure, I would have designed it differently.
But I feel that the added value the present SER-001 brings is worth it.

I hope that everyone has a positive experience with this
and I welcome everybody's comments, good or bad, so that I
can continue to make better products.

Thanks and regards,

David Humphreys
Designer and Father of SER-001