Re: [NTLK] notes and scrolling..

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 10:18:35 PDT

On Friday, June 22, 2001, at 08:45 AM, Brian McEwen wrote:

>>> when i made it mini, i figured i ought to file the Extras app in with
>>> all the others that were on the bar instead of lving by itself in the
>>> Unfiled folder. BAD IDEA. now, when i retore the buttonbar _nothing_
>>> is in it, not even the Extras Drawer! so, i hit the restart button,
>>> hoping to fool the goblins responsible, no dice. I hit the restart
>
> well, before you nuke everything (depending on how recent your backup is
> this migth be easiest anyway) you can get the Emergency or similar
> package
> from SBM or (another guy)- there's an app that if you put it on a card
> (on
> another Newton) when you insert it in your (locked) newton, it *should*
> autoconnect to NCU and you could backup your whole MP that way. It's
> made
> for situations where the MP powers up but your screen is broken. Then a
> full reset wouldn't be so bad. I think from SBM, but not certain.
>
> The other thing that would help, is if somehow you could autorun one of
> the Package Manager utils, like the one bundled in Newtcase, or I think
> SAS has one that you can demo (doesn't SAS have one of everything :?)
> If you could somehow run that, you could delete the mini-BB ap or
> whatever it was that's messed you up.
>
> Along those lines, I couldn't decide if Avi's backdrop was gone for good
> in your display, or not- if it's still there, maybe one of the apps in
> your "recent" backdrop button might let you get to Extras? Depends on
> your setup I guess.
>
> Sounds like a emergency backup and then a wipe might be your only
> recourse...

I'm not sure a backup would help. You see, the Button Bar application
(it's really an application) is in ROM, so it cannot be altered there,
unless some extension patches it. Now, how do you think that Button Bar
knows what application you dragged on it? Most definitely with a piece
of data somewhere. I've did a couple of queries in the system soup, but
was unable to find anything that would leave me to believe that it was
the button bar settings. It might be in another soup, but I doubt it.

Anyway, just to remind everyone involved that doing a backup might not
help much if you think about restoring it. You could try to restore it
*WITHOUT* the system soup, and maybe that would fix the problem, if the
button bar settings are really saved in the system soup. But if you do
that, you will loose most preferences in various applications, and you
most likely will have to re-enter some registration codes.

-Laurent.