Re: [NTLK] ATA News (was: Re: Dreaming of the ATA driver....)

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 18:15:59 PDT

Paul--

I've watched with antici......pation your efforts to learn what's
inside of Newton, and I congratulate you on your success!

It's amazing all of the support that Newton in general still has;
your ATA driver will add years of life to Newtonkind.

I read your latest status report, and have a comment.

>You said (in part): 3/ driver work:
>
>- maybe handle brutal removal of the card (if I find out how to do that)

If by handling brutal removal you mean deal with all of the loose
ends when someone just ejects a card perhaps what Newton does when I
remove a 'normal' memory card would suffice: my Newton usually says
something like, "Hey, I'm still using that. Put it back." I put the
card back, then it says, "OK, you can now remove card xxx."

I assume that the OS just suspends all pending activity for the card
until the Human puts it back in, tidies things up, then tells the
Human that -now- it's safe to remove the card.

--Paul