Re: [NTLK] MP2k upgrade-chips

From: Simon Muller (smullers_at_xs4all.nl)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 14:31:16 PDT

>> Another test: this time chimes sounded and the Newton startup screen
>>appeared.
>> It worked! "System RAM installed 3984K" memory info reports.
>>
>> Thanks to all, who gave me comments and suggestions!
>>
>> Simon Muller
>
>Wow, very cool!
>I don't know much about the Newt's hardware, but could it also be possible
>to give the MP2100 more (*more!* *MORE!*) RAM? Sth. like 12 or 16MB?
>This would be nice, as I do have to stuff larger programs, such as lexionary
>or any video, on my 20MB card. Sadly, that card is not so very stable after
>all. Several times I have to refresh it from it's backup on the Mac, rather
>then the Newts backup from the card (never did that).
>Loosing lexionary due to card-failure on campus is bad, very bad.
>I'd gladly pay for such an upgrade.
>
>Regards,
>
>Oliver :)
>
>--
>Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.

Oliver,
To begin with, it's not as easy as your instructions quote :-)
Also, I doubt more dram is very usefull.
 I don't know very much details on the way a Newt uses dram, but what I
postings on this subject, dram "à la Newt" is not the same as dram on a
desktop-machine.
 As I understand your question, you are looking for an internal substitute
for a flashcard. On a Newton the storage is done in flashrom. So Flashrom
expansion would be a solution. Theoretically it is posssible to put extra
flashrom-chips on the pcb in the MP2x00, But weather the OS will recognize
it automatically?
I remember vaguely a mention on this subject, that it will not.
Maybe some else knows more on this?

Simon Muller