Re: [NTLK] MP120 email and surfing? and Lookout success

From: Brian McEwen (bmcewen_at_cowboy.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 12:53:40 PDT

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Cook, Thomas wrote:
> I have two goals with the posting - learn about email and web surfing with a
> MP120/2.0 and tell people about my recent discoveries in case they are

I spent a huge amount of time trying to find a reliable email solution
(via PPP) with the MP120.

In a nutshell, I found that GoFetch (for shell or NIE, 2 different apps)
or Simplemail (PPP) would work great for sending emails.

Simplemail choked pretty quickly receiving emails; goFetch worked OK but
could only reliably handle 4 or 5 before it started to crash or lose
things (PPP worse than shell).

pt100 and a shell account were the best solutions that I found for reading
mail. EasyConnect also looked like a good term proggy but only lets you
hit 5 CR's before the demo hangs up the phone, and you can't register it
anymore.

This is with all apps frozen except the bare necessaries, and using Avi's
backdrop to bring total available heap to 55k or so.

For sending email, the MP120 should be fine. Receiving, is a bit of a
tossup.

Newtscape did OK but slow, and you have to pick your pages to visit very
carefuly to avoid running out of heap.

But it is a lot of fun to play and test for yourself :)

Let us know what you find in your experiments! I'm pleased to hear about
Lookout etc. working OK.