Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Overclocking

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 13:58:22 PDT

> Well, rather it would lead to a crash.. The NewtonOS storage system
> is rather redundant (for example, the system stores binaries with
> their size in store objects of a given size, hence the information is
> there twice (in the header of the object and in the store's catalog).

Yes, in a lot of cases, it would crash. Depending on what got trashed,
a whole number of things could happen.

> Not really. In sleep mode, every clock is disabled except the
> real time clock.

True. I thought I had powered down when I measured it. Seems like
I didn't.

> Except that I think that the 220 MHz limit is rather due to the ROM
> chips, I cannot disagree with what you are saying.

A number of parts have speed limits. Regardless of which one hits
the stops first, the outcome is still corruption. The 220Mhz value
is, perhaps coincidentally, the fastest speed that this chip is made in.
Lower speeds are just fallout from this.

> >Also, higher speed means higher power dissipation. This will
> >prematurely age the processor and other components.
>
> Although it won't generate much heat.

Overclocking will cause an increase in di/dt or rate of change of current
of the signals in the chip.