[NTLK] Newton Repair

From: Cliff Penwell (cpenwell_at_emnet.org)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 16:45:17 PDT

This is my first message to Newton Talk, so I hope I haven't accidentally
appended the rest of today's digest, the condensed works of Shakespeare,
or a collection of chicken recipies. I am about to send my Newton off for
repair after having the misfortune to drop it in Mexico City and break the
crystal display behind the glass. It took a bit of sleuthing, but here's
what I discovered: You can call the Apple Service Center at
1-800-275-2273, opt 1, opt 5, and tell them what's wrong. (Eventually they
sent me to 1-800-320-3728, but I think you have to start at the other
number.) When I told the service rep what I owned, he told me he had never
handled a Newton repair request and didn't think they still did them, but
when I gave him the serial number he went and checked with someone and
verified that it was an MP2000 and said they still had parts and could do
it. I got a dispatch number for the repair and called the other number,
and they took my credit card info and said I should receive a return box
within four days. Total cost is about $194, including shipping, with about
a ten-day turnaround. Hope all this is helpful.

Cliff Penwell