Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #234

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 13:56:17 EDT

> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:52:47 +0200
> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Best way to prep card for ejection?
>

>>Fastest way I've seen (and used) on a MP2xK is to hit 'reset' then pop the
>>card as the newt reboots (Courtesy of Paul G and his early ATA card
>>drivers - one of those simple things yuou never think of yourself.....:-)
>
> Well, I suggest to not do that. Of course, it's your data and you've
> got the right to lose it (there are easier ways, though, cf
> http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2e, and be
> sure to have the PC cards in when doing that to be sure to toast
> them)

Paul, I absolutely agree.
When I got my MP2100, it came with a 16MB card (19,xMB in fact).
Whenever I want to kill that card, I just have to pull a reset without
taking it out before.
I never had any problems with my 4MB cards though, but I also eject them
before resetting the Newt.

It's a shame if you're two hours away from your backup, and in strong need
for that dictionary you had, just two minutes ago...

I strongly recommend CardEject, it's a very nice and reliable program.

Regards,

Oliver :)

--
A:Isn't this practice also known as "percussive maintenance"?