Re: [NTLK] Airplanes & carry ons

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:23:25 EDT

on 10/2/01 7:21 AM, Bill Davis at newton_at_ecity.net wrote:

> Of course, the governors do seem to be calling out the National Guard and
> placing a lot of 'em at airports, but frankly (no offense meant to
> Guardsmen here, I'm sure they're doing a good job) I don't think that's
> the sort of thing we need. Might make the passengers feel safer, but I
> doubt seriously it'll help find the nasties. Unless they're receiving
> training we haven't heard about.

I dare say that 90% of what the powers-that-be are doing is for the purpose
of making passengers feel safer, rather than the other. The truth is, if
someone is determined enough, all the security in the world probably won't
help, because they will do whatever it takes to get around it. Your goal is
to keep all but the most determined out.

In line with that, I don't think the next attack will come from or in the
air, because that element of surprise is already shot, and the increased
security makes failure much greater. Therefore, I suspect it will be
somewhere else...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland