Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]internet search engine

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 17:56:10 EDT

>On 10/2/01, Vernon LeMoignan quoth:
>>What is the best search engine for the newt?

Or, if you're meaning which search engine gives you the best results for
newton-related stuff, you can use just about any of them, I used to use
<http://www.metacrawler.com> a lot but not mostly use
<http://www.google.com> for most general searches these days.

If you want to search for specific newton utilities etc there's the dbase I
put up that has a lot of the older apps
<http://people.mw.mediaone.net/bmcewen/ENUF.html> and there's a
reincarnation of DNUG somewhere too (we went for years without a searchable
dbase then in a couple weeks time, two of them pop up). Nice as you can
keyword search by description, OS, etc. Not everyone has 2100's/OS 2.1 and
searching for 2.0 or 1.3 specific utils is not what many Newton sites are
geared towards these days.

Once you know what you are looking for you can search for your filename at
<http://www.unna.org>, which is the most often updated archive present at
this time, or usually a plain old ftp search
<http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=medium> will turn up the file you want on
any number of ftp sites for download (and the ftp search will work better
for apps for older OS versions).

Or maybe, you were just looking for the Sherlock info per Ben's reply :)

Brian