Re: [NTLK] eMate battery pack?

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 01:20:52 EDT

I am forwarding this to the list as it is relevant to earlier postings.

I have some progress to report, but my (so called) "real job" has interposed
itself to the tune of 85+ hours a week.

In short, the battery holder chosen is a quad 'AA' version - MCM Electronics
part #29-630. It has a '9v snap' type connector at one end, so a 9v battery
connector (with wires) is required. This method was chosen to accommodate
those list members whose soldering skills are not good (soldering two wires
that are twisted together is less hazardous than soldering to terminals on
the batteries, or mounted in plastic). Soldered connections are wrapped with
small amount of electrical tape (insulation).

The four NiMH cells are held in place in the holder with two strips of
electrical tape (wrapped around the outside of the holder at the mid-point
of each pair of cells - this makes more sense once you see the holder).

The thermistor is held against one of the cells of the pair closest to the
terminals of the battery holder by a strip of electrical tape (once again
around the holder).

As a final touch, wrap electrical tape lengthwise around the (finished)
assembly to hold the 9v-style connector onto the terminals of the battery
holder (vibration proofing).

Total soldering: two connections (red to red & black to black) where the
original wires (clipped from the original battery pack as close to the cells
as possible) join to those of the 9v-style battery connector. Total
materials: the battery holder, four standard NiMH cells (1600 mAH), one
9v-style battery connector, a small amount of solder, and about 2 feet of
electrical tape (vinyl). Tools required: one small soldering iron, one pair
of diagonal cutters. MCM Electronics is on the web (www.mcmelectronics.com)
but I believe their minimum order is $25. You may want to consolidate
purchasing with other needs.

I realize this is somewhat rough and sketchy, but at 85 hours a week I
barely have time to scratch (or sleep) much less finish personal projects.
If you have any questions drop me an email and I will try to help out. I
expect that around mid (mid-late) October I will be back in normal 55+ hours
per week mode, so will have time to publish this in a clean form with
pictures. If there is interest I will take orders so that the list members
won't have to worry about the minimums (IIRC the holder is only $2, and the
9v-style conn.'s are 5-10 per $1).

I have preliminary test results on the thermistor for the fellow propeller
heads out there, but I want to run the tests again when I am more awake &
less stressed (some weird inconsistencies in the data).

Sorry for the long delay in this follow-up !!

Paul Nuernberger