Re: [NTLK] Re - A Messagepad for my wife! But which one?!

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 19:15:32 EDT

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:18:23 +0200, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> > Samuel said...
>
> > My wife has, over time, become more and more interested in the use of
the
> > Newton...
>
> Greg answered...
>
> > I'd say the 130 because knowing Wives, she's gonna want that Backlight,
if
> she
> > is shopping or somewhere at Night.
but if anything eats up the battery its that backlight and, sooner or later
that light has to be replaced and I reckon it's not an easy job!

> Another suggestion
>
> > Suggestion, Get a cheap OMP off ebay, just to see how much see uses it.
If
> > she gets hooked, then upgrade to somthing fancier.
> > I gave my OMP to my wife, she was jazzed at first, then when the
> excitement
> > wore off, so did the use.
It happens!
> Samuel again...
>
> > Thanks! Actually the size issue was the primary reason as to why I was
> > writing to the NUG as I have only seen the MP2000/2100. Perhaps, then,
the
> > 0MP might be best, and the should be fairly inexpensive off of eBay.
And,
> > true, I am curious if she will use it over a long period of time...
>
> And if that wasn't more than enough, here's my unimportant opinion...
>
> I wouldn't buy anything older than an os 2.0 MP120. Sure, olde ones are
> cheaper,
True but it kind of depends on how it is going to be used. Even the older
NOS versions have quite a bit of life left!
> but all have os 1.3. Which makes it quite likely that your wive's new
> enthusiasm
> will fade fast. Apart from handwriting recognition that really works, os
2.0
I'd get a plug-in keyboard... fast!!
> introduces many other features that make a Newton fun to use.
> OMP's and MP100's have the additional drawback that they eat up batteries
> like
> hell and use AAA size batts instead of AA size batts, so you'd
> have to replace batteries very often.
Stuff that! Try to get one of those long-life rechargeables and do the
planet (and your pocketbook!) a favour!!
> What's left if you take me seriously are 4 models:
>
> MP 120 OS 2.0
> MP 130
> MP 2000
> MP 2100
>
> The 130 would be preferable to the 120 because it has backlight, but
> unfortunately
> the 130 is the least rugged model of all the Newton family. It has a
> tendency to
> die out of the blue for no apparent reason, the foremost problem
> being the "Newton switches itself off soon after being turned on"
> problem.
It's a matter of getting to the "preferences" and the "sleep" option:
how long you need with no gesture before it goes into power-saving mode.
> Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I have fixed some of
> these 130's (well, not really fixed because
> as yet I haven't found the reason for this behavior. I revived them by
> replacing their
> main logic boards).
A bit drastic, isn't it?
> Now if either size or price is a factor, this leaves you I think with a
> MP120 with os 2.0.
> It is (not that much) smaller than a 2x00, it is way cheaper, and it
offers
> most of the
> benefits you are used to from using an eMate or 2x00, albeit slower of
> course.
Loss of speed, though not a major inconvenience, can give that sluggish feel
which can be a right pain in the butt!
> To make up one's mind about whether Newton technology
> is the right thing to use, this is the best choice in my humble opinion.
>
> Cheers
>
> Frank
Same to you and I hope you find your ideal Newt! </;-) John J.