Re: [NTLK] Amigo-600C first PDA with PC card slot?

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 10:20:32 EDT

I think you hit the wall on PCMCIA around 1990 since you don't even see it
in laptops before then.

As for the Amigo-600C, I think the correct claim is more that it is the
first PocketPC (Palm-size WinCE, not H/PC) with a full type II PC Card slot
built in (not a CF slot like the Casio and not requiring an add-on sled like
the iPaq).

One of my coworkers has an iPaq with the PCMCIA sled that she uses with a
cellular modem. The extra hardware really adds a lot the the size. OTOH, an
Amigo with a WaveLAN card sounds like it could be fun.

Speaking of WinCE systems, anybody here familiar with the Philips Velo?
Someone at work promised me their old one when they learned my afection for
older technologies (don't know if it is a Velo 1 or Velo 500, though).

<<<john>>>