Re: [NTLK] Best way to prep card for ejection?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 02:33:00 EDT

>Why not ?
>
>After all, the Newt remounts everything after the restart, so if you remove
>the card after hitting the button it should be exactly the same as if you
>didn't have a card in the first place, and I can't see why that would be
>harmful.....

Yes, you're right. Actually, the harmful part is doing the reset.
In fact, it depends on how you "hit the reset button". If you do a
software reset (e.g. Avi's BD's reset item in the [i] menu), after
having closed applications, there should be no data loss at all
(either on the card or on the internal store). Now, if you press the
reset button on the back of your Newton, you might lose data (i.e.
your last changes won't be saved - but there shouldn't be any data
corruption).

I see too many folks having problems with their cards and their data
to advise violent operations like this one, although this is one of
the least violent ones. However, personally, I very often do resets
and most of the time by removing all power (don't do this, it's the
most harmful way) because there is no other way when the low-level
debugger crashed.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/