Re: [NTLK] [OT] airports and Newts [tangent aerobatics]

From: Guy MITTAUX (guy.mittaux_at_free.fr)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 08:29:00 EDT

Actually, i do not agree with that.
If you look at statistic, 86 % of crash are due to a bad action from pilot.
about 55% of crash, there were no problem on the aircraft and the pilot
bring it down,
about 20% of crash had a minor failure and a bad reaction bring it down,
about 31 % had a higher failure due to bad maintenance and the bad pilot
reaction bring it down.
OK, some pilot fault was due to bad training.
An example, the flight from canada to portugal which landed unpowered on
açores.
The pilot is treated like a heroe because he could flight 18 minutes with no
engines and hard landed the plane.
A leak in an engine pipe let the plane loose all the kerosene.
The pilot should have isolated the engine with the leak and finish with one
engine.
Instead of that, as one tank was emptiing faster, he connect the balance of
kero and bring the safe tank to loose kero.

But what was learn during training ?
When one tank is lees heavy, you just balance kero by bypass pipe between
the tank.

Guy