Re: [NTLK] Emates, extrusion and Mold casting and Newtons%26In-Reply-To=%26lt;B7E4DBCE.3D49%newton2k1@mac.com>

From: Newton_User (newton_user_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 12:48:30 EDT

... promising an aluminum Newt!
Hmm... titanium newt....

I find this thread very interesting. I have been a Newton user for some
time now and I am also a sculptor. I have experience in casting and
fabricating metal. I have played around with the thought of fabricating a
casted shell from aluminum, bronze, or something of the like. The problem
with this, especially with aluminum, is that since the Newton shell is so
thin, it makes it extremely difficult to pour a mold. The general rule of
thumb that I use in my castings is that nothing is less than 1/4 inch thick
so that everything is poured smoothly and you don't end up with an
incomplete final product.

There are plenty of other factors involved, but I will save everyone's eyes
some reading time and say that based upon my experience in casting...this
would be very difficult indeed and I would be more than glad to give praise
to somebody who could actually pull it off.

Kindest Regards,
Anthony V. Jeancola
http://www.geocities.com/newtonresurrection