[NTLK] Dragon Voice Recognition Software

From: Haywood Floyd (haywoodfloyd_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 22:49:18 EDT

Hello all,

I’ve had a go at using the Dragon Demo along with
Daniel Padilla’s (many thanks) internal microphone
hack. The results were staggering. For those who
haven’t had a play with it yet I’d say go for it.

The demo allows you to select the type of input like
say numbers, telephone number, states etc. You then
speak and Newt pops up an answer, roughly in the same
time it takes for HWR. Warning, ’cuz it will blow your
sock off …

If I could just use the number recognition alone and
insert the results into input fields it would more
than useful. The limited vocabulary could be used for
neat command & control … “Turn off”, “Backlight
(toggle on & off)”, “Search” etc… Whoa!

Mark Rollins suggested some time ago in newtontalk V1
#165 that it might be possible to get hold of the
software as abondonware. Shane Anderson said he might
have an in at L&H (New Dragon owners). Has there been
any conclusive developments? After trying this demo
I’m more than impressed and think the whole Newton
community could benefit from some sort of limited
Dragon non-demo software.

Many thanks to Ken Whitcomb for the demo.

Can this be done on the new HandEra (Bill - Newton?).
I recall some time ago IBM released a Palm or HSpring
module with an ARM processor that did this sort of
stuff but it didn’t seem to take off. Maybe because it
cost more than the PDA it plugged into.

Cheers all,

Hay

P.S. Mark … about the "Talk to Newton" posters. Did
you ever get a .jpg?