Re: [NTLK] Newton and Macintosh Video Conferencing

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 10:24:47 EDT

on 10/10/01 8:42 AM, Jrgen Riishede at riishede_at_get2net.dk wrote:

> To "Whom it may concern"!!!!!
>
> I have been connected to the NewtonTalk List for two month now. There =
> has been many discussions about lost opportunities for the Newton =
> Platform and programs for special purposes (Dragon etc.). One item =
> seems to be missing: Video Conferencing on Newton!!!!!
>
> To nigth (european summertime) I think I found a "new" Newton Page.
>
> Via NPDS ServerTracker at http://misato.chuma.org:2110/ and
> Dale Steels Backup Newton i found a link to
>
> http://www.int.gu.edu.au/~j.faichney/software/software.html
>
> Here you can find a Video Conferencing system for Macintosh and =
> Newton and not at least, the source code for C++ (I think) and NTK. =
> The author is Jolon Faichney, and he has provided the software to and =
> source code to "Whom it may concern".
>
> I have no Video hardware on my PM 6500, so I am unable to try how it =
> works, although it seems to connect via TCP/IP.
>
> Maybee you all know this software or maybee not. Anyway is there =
> anybody out there who would be willing to try the system and maybe =
> look at the source code? There could be an oppurtunity to improve on =
> this system, use some of the parts different or use it for a platform =
> for new ideas concerning this subject??

I downloaded the source code for both apps, but I won't be able to have a
look anytime soon, sorry, I have another project going on and taking all my
little spare time.

But know that the source is safe and I'll have a look.

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.