[NTLK] SysPatch 0.6 -- is this normal?

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 02:24:56 EDT

Hi, all. First let me apologize if anyone responded to my
last post a few weeks ago and got a bounce -- my domain
host was having a lot of trouble at the time.

Now, I have a question for all of the MP2k experts here...
I've been using AVI's Backdrop -10061 fix, but I finally
got tired of having to manually intervene and decided to
try SysPatch 0.6b after reading about it on usenet.
Unfortunately, when I installed the package, I got the
following message:

'An error occurred activating the package. "SysPatch:clli".
It may not work with this system. Contact the software
publisher for further information. (Part 0, Type auto)'

Naturally, this freaked me out a little so I immediately
tried to remove it, with no luck -- trying to delete the
package from the extensions folder either causes a reboot
(after which it's still there, and pops up the same error)
or a freeze (causing me to reset, after which it's still
there, with the error).

However, I did notice that the unit started to take several
(~2) seconds to power off (with newton logo at top), which
seemed like it might be doing a -10061 "fix" and then I
discovered that there is indeed now a "SysPatch" entry in
the "Prefs" program where I can change settings. The error
message isn't too "in the way" -- I just have to dismiss it
once after a reboot and then it doesn't show any longer.

My questions are threefold:

1) Does everyone else get this error message when SysPatch
is installed and find that they can't delete it? That
worries me a little. Or do I have some kind of package
conflict? I did try removing my 16MB card with most
packages, but that didn't change anything...

2) Does it sound like SysPatch is "working" -- is the 2-3
second poweroff with a newton logo at the top of the screen
a good indication of correct functionality?

3) If the error message isn't normal, is there any chance
that it will cause serious data loss problems?

3a) If so, how do I remove the @#$(* thing without a brain
wipe?

Thanks for your help, everybody. I'm really glad I found
this list, I read the posts every day...

-A. Hsiao