Re: [NTLK] don't want to give up my Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 15:30:09 EDT

on 10/11/01 3:22 PM, Lance Keith at KeithL_at_infotrain.com wrote:

> Does anyone have the answers to questions below:
>
> 1. Is there a current software package for installing packages on my newton
> that works without having to set the date back to Oct.1997? I still only
> have the beta version of the newton connection utilities.

Yes, the full Newton Connection Utilities package that you can find on UNNA
<http://www.unna.org/>. Do a search and you should find it.

> 2. Is there a current version of synchronizing software for Outlook 2000 and
> my Newton 2100?

I don't know. I know there were a few solutions for other versions of
Outlook, but I don't know for the 2000 version.

> 3. What about replacement software for NCU, NBU etc.?

Thomas Tempelmann did release a data browser that runs on Mac and PC,
supports Ethernet connections on Mac *and* PC (as opposed to NCU/NBU that
support only the Mac) and also supports IrDA connections on the Mac only.
That means you could use any IrDA compliant Macintosh (like most recent
PowerBooks) and connect to your MP2x00 or eMate without any cable! This
application lets you browse the data on your Newton, transfer those data on
your desktop, install packages and does a few other things. The only major
thing it doesn't do is synchronization. Check
<http://www.tempel.org/newton/>.

> 4. Sources for memory cards?

eBay? There was also someone who posted a few minutes ago a 32 MB flash RAM
card for $100. Check the ATA driver from Paul Guyot
<http://www.kallisys.net/>. That lets you use other cards than the linear
flash RAM cards that are so hard to find these days. The ATA driver
supports, like its name implies, cards that are based on the ATA interface,
which is a lot of compact flash, memory sticks and the like, as long as you
have an adapter to stick the thingie in your PCMCIA slot on your Newton.

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."