Re: [NTLK] real v newton

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 16:29:46 EDT

Hello,

  I almost lost data in a big way. My Compaq laptop HD died. I mean REALLY
died. Laptop wouldn't even see it. ( I know. I hate windows also, but I
code in Delphi so.....) I after a day of working with it I got it to boot
ONCE. Copied everything off it 3 times and test the copies so I knew I had
good data. Then it died for good 2 hours later.

  This is my backup strategy now.

  1) Get a Snap server from Quantum. My 95 & 2000 machines connect to it
over IP. My OS 9 machine can connect with IP or Appletalk. My OS X machine
connects to it as NFS. It is worth EVERY PENNY.

  2) Get offsite storage. I use www.connected.com. 4 gigs of storage for
$15 a month. Having a backup server and/or discs & tapes are nice, but what
if there is a robbery or fire? There are Internet backup for macs also. Go
to www.retrospect.com site for macs. The data is compressed and encrypted
before it is sent. Worth every penny.

  I came THIS close to losing a month of work.

  Believe me, the ANY amount of money you spend for backups is ALWAYS well
worth it when you need it.

David