Re: [NTLK] Printing via Ethernet ?

From: Andy Wells (andywells_at_hotkey.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 22:32:43 EDT

Andre @ abaron_at_mac.com wrote in reply

>> I went crazy last weekend and cabled every room in the house back to a
>> hub/Redhat 7.1 box, man did the wife go nuts......kids think it's pretty
>> cool though.....nice one Dad :-)

Andre >What's nuts with that? In my place we put 1100' of cable into the
walls
>of our 3 Bedroom 3 level town house..

Well when she found the outlet that I'd run to the master bedroom......
 the first question was 'Why do we need THAT in here ?'.....<fill in the
blank>
Personally couldn't think of a better place...Sunday morning lay-in ( hey
don't spoil the fantasy )
reading the latest digest........;-)

to swing back to the topic
Andre >I'm able to print to any printer that talks appletalk (even the
lexmark
>1250 at work does) I believe that printer should be able to talk
>appletalk. You can configure the newt to do appletalk by setting
the
>AppleTalk setting in Prefs to Ethertalk and then select your card.

David Arnold @ arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au also said

David >assuming the LJ4+ supports EtherTalk, you just need to set your
>AppleTalk preferences to use EtherTalk, not LocalTalk, and then it
>should just pop up in the "Other Network Printer" list when
printing.

Hhm tried that....eMate sits on 'looking for printers' but no success. (
Both are connected to the Hub, BTW )
The HP L4+ has an Etalk option which I've set to 'On'. The only other Etalk
option is 'Phase' which is set at 2 ( default )
So is this OK or should it be something else ?
Could the Redhat box and TCP/IP somehow 'block' Ethertalk ? Ipchains is not
running........yet, box not quite ready to go public........ so I know it's
not that........ ?

BTW ........thanks for the netatalk link David !

cheers
Andy

Andy Wells
Systems Administration