Re: [NTLK] E-mate problems and Non-Newt Yet Related HandheldQuestion

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 08:54:39 EDT

>Hello Jon,
>
> yes, I have been contemplating both routes in regards to a traditional
>notebook or a oen computer. The only reason why the Clio came up was that,
>while still in school, I would like to be able to organize and
>condenze/cross reference notes in one place. This was my main purpuse with
>the Newton line and, while I like the Newton quite a bit, I have not been
>impressed with its abilities.

This is fine but a few people here are doing exactly what you wish to do
with your Newton, successfully with theirs :/ Theses and all.

A software program called XPort is highly recommended, too.

Did you ever mention the size (in k) of the pieces of the document that you
were trying to send? There can be strangeness if you go over a few k (I
forget how many, but you have to run "Big Notes" from SAS to get to 32k) in
NOTES- Works docs can be a lot bigger (100+ k) if I recall correctly- I
don't do much in Works as I only had access to it comparatively recently so
am in the habit of Notes.

But I have sent RTF back and forth just fine from my MP130 and 2100 with Xport.

Did you ever check that you are able to successfully install packages at
present? I know you said you had success in the past, but how about now?
Windows can do unexpected things sometimes.

> Also, traditional notebooks worth their salt will generally be 2-3 times
>more expensive than the Clio 1050, thus I was hoping to save money after my
>eMate. etc., debacle. Yet the concern of making another error is pressing...

You can find cute little Pentium laptops for cheap. Pop a new HD into it
(since this is critical data), you're good to go. you don't need 500MHz
P-III laptop just for Word. A used 100 or 166 Pentium would be fine and
cheap.

But be sure to buy what makes you happy. Toss that emate on my garbage
heap :) I've never played with one.