Re: [NTLK] E-mate problems and Non-Newt Yet RelatedHandheldQuestion

From: Samuel Jacobson (jacobson98_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 11:44:27 EDT

hello Brian,

  I have looked into X-Port and it does sound possible, yet I was hesitant
to put another $40 (price of the package) into the eMate since I have yet
to be able to get it to work. I will have to think about this...

  In regards to size of the pieces of my Thesis the Introduction, which is
one of the larger segments, is 18.6 Kb. This is not what I would call huge,
but not small either. I would have thought that NewtWorks would have been
ideal for this (and you are right that others have gotten their eMates to
work with their research. It was only after many discussions with them that
I decided to purchase an eMate). So far I have gotten the file to download
to the eMate but it comes in a very odd format which is appears
more-or-less unusable. Again, though, I know of no troubles downloading
packages to the eMate.

  I agree that an older, possibly used, laptop would be rather inexpensive.
Yet with looking at potential future needs I would like a unit that I could
use professionally with either employment or further schooling. While I
agree that I do not need a G4 Powerbook (@$3000) nor an 800 MHz Sony Vaio I
would like something that I know will service me professionally 5 years
from now. Thus for something that I would target at mainly Word and Excel
use the $500 was much more prudent.

  I spent a lot of time and effort looking into different inexpensive
solutions to my writing issue and chose the eMate via what I could learn
from others experience. I do not know why I have failed in my efforts while
others have not. Have I given up on the eMate? No. Yet I feel it
inappropriate to be spending so much time dealing with trying to get the
technology to work and not on what needs to be done to graduate. Hence my
shorter-than-probably-needed fuse with the eMate.

  Yet please know that I greatly appreciate all of the advice. In fact it
is the help and kindness of the newsgroup that has kept me here this long.

Most Respectfully,

Sam

Always remember, "Ad astra per aspera"...

email:
      jacobson98_at_earthlink.net
      or
      sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu

Lab. Telephone (via Dr. Susan Bell): 813-974-5420

SnailMail:
     Department of Biology
     University of South Florida
     SCA 110