Re: [NTLK] moving NewtDB data without a serial port

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 14:59:45 EDT

on 10/15/01 2:38 PM, Michael C. Wittmann at wittmannmichael_at_mac.com wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback...
>
> what I had been wondering was about something like NewtonDIL Tester. I used
> it to at least look into the soups on my Newton, but wasn't able to actually
> figure out what was going on. Is there a way to grab the soups in some
> format (just text data) and then see what can be done with it on the
> desktop? Just curious if anyone else had gone a route such as this one...
>
> Michael
>
> Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, none that I'm aware of, sorry. You'll have to set up an old
>> Mac from storage, I'm afraid...

You supposedly can do that, but I've never tried it myself. Apparently, from
the web site where you can download the data browser, you can:

Connect your Mac or Windows PC to your Newton via Serial, AppleTalk (Mac
only), IrDA (Mac only) or TCP/IP (Mac and Windows!)
* Browse all soups on the internal store, and edit (add, modify, delete)
them.
* Find text in your Newton's soups
* Upload packages
* Send a NewtonScript commands (or function) to the Newton and retrieve
the result back on the Desktop.
* Retrieve any soups from the Newton and store them as a backup on your
desktop computer.
* Open (browse) soups stored on your desktop computer.
* Use your Desktop Computer for typing on your newton (same as with NCU)

So, apparently, you can do that. There is no word about extracting those
data from the soups, though...

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.