Re: [NTLK] Serial Dongle for MP2000

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 02:06:38 EDT

On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 18:34, Christopher Dean wrote:

> Adam,
>
> You require the Serial Dongle.
>
> The Australian part number is;
>
> 922-2971 Cable adaptor to Din 9 $30.00 (Australian)
>
> You need to visit your local Authorised Apple Service Centre to obtain one
> of these as they are only listed in Apples "spare part" catalogue.
>
> Last time I checked Apple Australia still had 8 in stock (a couple of weeks
> ago at most).

Thanks for the information Christopher and David (and the emailed info
as well Christopher). It doesn't sound like they will too difficult to
obtain.

Your support is great :-)

I have issues with the comment David that "The NIC (where the dongle
plugs in) is a good design if not a little fragile. Just imagine how
silly (and how much larger) the Newton would have to be if all of the
connectors were located on the Newton itself." Apple managed to fit a
serial port into the smaller MP130. Plus there appears to be space for a
serial port under the lift-up flap (on the RHS looking from the top)
that has been filled in with a piece of plastic.

Regards,
Adam