Re: [NTLK] Printing via Ethernet ?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 21:21:28 EDT

on 10/16/01 9:14 PM, James Elliott at rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> wrote:
>>> I left out the most important bit of that message. I was wondering
>>> about connecting the Newt (120(2.0)) to the LocalTalk net and then
>>> going through a bridge to a router on the ethernet network. That is
>>> how a couple of my desktops connect. I had reason to believe that
>>> this would work, but then some mention was made (a while ago when I
>>> didn't have time to respond) that this would not work. Might someone
>>> clarify?
>>
>> That should work. The LocalTalk packet from your 120 should be encapsulated
>> by the router for printer delivery.
>>
>> -Laurent.
> Excellent! My brother is coming home this weekend and he might have
> a machine to replace the bridge. If so, I will soon be surfing on my
> Newt. Sweet!

Sorry, I didn't say that the TCP/IP packets would be encapsulated, I
mentioned "LocalTalk" packets. This is good for printing to an AppleTalk
compatible printer or accessing file from an AppleTalk compatible server.
Surfing the web implies a different protocol, and so a different kind of
packets...

Sorry about that...

-Laurent.

Borg n.: In "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the Borg is a species of cyborg that ruthlessly seeks to incorporate all sentient life into itself; their slogan is "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." In hacker parlance, the Borg is usually Microsoft, which is thought to be trying just as ruthlessly to assimilate all computers and the entire Internet to itself (there is a widely circulated image of Bill Gates as a Borg). Being forced to use Windows or NT is often referred to as being "Borged". Interestingly, the Halloween Documents reveal that this jargon is live within Microsoft itself. (Other companies, notably Intel and UUNet, have also occasionally been equated to the Borg.) See also Evil Empire, Internet Exploiter.