Re: [NTLK] closer but no cigar on internet connection%26In-Reply-To

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 22:10:22 EDT

>on 10/16/01 6:45 PM, jeff kisseloff at j.kisseloff_at_verizon.net wrote:
>
>> so let me stretch your patience by asking a few more questions.
>> dashboard tells me that I have 48k heap. I don't have that many programs
>> loaded into the internal memory. is there something wrong?
>>
>> is 48k an astonishing low number? how much would I need to do some
>> surfing.

48k is pretty low. At least for trying internet-related activities.

Surprisingly, the MP130 has much more heap RAM than a vanilla 2000.

In my experience, you really need at least 55k heap free to do NIE at all
(I forget if you're using PPP or ethernet, but both load NIE). Some of the
following is pretty basic, especially if you've read the FAQ, but just in
case:

To do web browsing, IMO you need 100k+ heap really for predictable success
on very simple sites (even PDA-specific pages), "as much as possible" for
regular sites. Try setting up google.com as your default web page. It
might just barely work, even with 48k heap (but likely, not- I would assume
NIE2.0 needs more heap than NIE1.1, which is what I worked with on my (heap
limited) MP120). The main page of google is just about empty. The main
page of Yahoo is pretty full. Also tables and frames and the like kill PDA
browsers on the Newt pretty quickly. Newtscape does better than Nethopper
usually, in my experience. You can also try loading some basic pages
meant for PDA use. See www.thisoldnewt.com and somewhere on there might be
a list of PDA-friendly web pages. But Yahoo is definitely out!

Running a low-heap backdrop such as Avi's Backdrop (www.drissman.com) will
save a lot of heap as you can "unload" Note or Extras or whatever is your
current backdrop that may be using lots of heap RAM, and use Avi's instead.
Avi's Backdrop is very nicely done.

You can also free up some heap (heap is different than free RAM) by
freezing applications that you are not using- just having apps present and
unfrozen will suck up a few k of heap per app.
2 ways to freeze are Freezeman from www.standalone.com and OptionsEnabler
(or just Options, maybe) from www.sbm.nu.

To give you an idea of where you are at present in terms of heap: on my
MP120/2.0 NIE 1.1, with Avi's installed and everything frozen except
internet-related apps and Simplemail, I had 55k free heap. This would let
me view a very few PDA-specific web pages with Newtscape _just barely_, and
not very well, and let me send email OK, but not receive email very well.

I have no idea what the free heap would be on a 2000 with NIE 2.0, Avi's
installed and extraneous packages frozen, but likely it would be under
100k, likely 65 or so (keeping in mind my first statement comparing 2000 to
MP130 heap). Maybe let us know what you get once you use Avi's and freeze
everything but NIE and mail or browsers.

On my 2100 with quite a few packages installed (although nothing like !ooW
runs), nothing frozen, and Avi's installed, I have at the moment 320k heap
free, before running NIE.

If you can freeze things and install Avi's (if it isn't already) and have
about 75-100k free you should be able to do basic surfing. You might have
to freeze Dashboard, too, to get here (I've never tried Dashboard).

The 2000 has the horsepower for browsing but the heap is pretty limiting
(like you hadn't got that point yet :). The $75 for the "2100 upgrade"
from Dr Newton is a great deal and will expand how you can use your Newt
just about exponentially.

I guess this turned out kinda long. HTH.