Re: [NTLK] closer but no cigar on internet connection%26In-Reply-To%26In-Reply-To%26In-Reply-To%26In-Reply-To

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 10:16:08 EDT

on 10/17/01 9:57 AM, jeff kisseloff at j.kisseloff_at_verizon.net wrote:
[snip!]
> so, here are two more questions:
>
> 1) Heapsaver worked nicely, it seems. Is it a better program than the
> freeze programs, or do the freeze programs work more efficiently, or
> can they work in tandem?
>
> 2) It would be nice when my Newton comes back to be able to download
> sites and read them off line? Does anyone have a recommendation for the
> best software to do this?

I'm not sure what HeapSaver does, but I would think that you would still
need a freeze utility, like the "Freeze Utilities" from Standalone, Inc.
<http://www.standalone.com/newtonos/>.

There used to be an application that would just do that, go to some sites
and download the pages for offline, delayed reading, but the name escapes
me. Anybody?

-Laurent.

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.