Re: [NTLK] Apple to unveil new digital device next week

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 20:26:18 EDT

Hello,

  I have come SO close to getting a MP3 player that reads the MP3s from your
computer. Having any song only 3 seconds away is extremely convenient. And
as long as the MP3 is burned at a decent rate (all of mine are at 320k) it
sounds wonderful.

  There have always been 3 problems.

  The first is that most home MP3 players usually have small hard drives.
Currently I have 27 gigs of MP3 files. Manufacturers have gotten smarter
and now they stream the MP3s from your computer to the player. But now we
have the other two problems.

  The second problem is that all of them, that do streaming, require
windows.

  The third problem is that there must be an Ethernet connection or one of
those goofy 1 Mb phone line connections. I'm not running CAT5 through the
house.

  Now imagine an Apple MP3 streaming server.

  Using Airport.

  I will buy the first one I see.

  For a bonus, imagine an s-video connector on it to show QuickTime movies
or DVDs on the TV.

  This will be good.

David