Re: [NTLK] VNC test results...

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 08:07:18 EDT

> From: Aron Hsiao <thoth_at_leapdragon.net>
>
> Like everybody else I had to grab VNC and try it out too.
> Thanks, Steve! ;)
>
> Generally, it works surprisingly well considering the
> Newton's age. It holds up pretty well against VNC on my CE
> device. Here are some specific results:
>
> NT5, Linux VNC in raw mode: works great, no problems
>
> Linux in all other modes:
> disconnect before anything is drawn with following logged:
> rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: unknown message type 8
>
> NT5 all other modes: disconnect (where's the NT VNC log!?)
>
> Don't know if this helps anyone or not, but at least for
> me, setting to "raw" protocol in prefs is the way to
> connect right now!

thanks for the tip.
"Raw" mode supposedly should always work.
it is the most data intensive, but in some ways the simplest to process.
I suppose once things are working with a given server, you can try the other
encodings. I was under the impression that Hextile would be supported too by
all servers -- or is only raw guaranteed?? [

currently client sends encodings in this order:
- CopyRect (if supported) -- which it isn't (yet)
- the encoding preference
- then the others: EncodingRRE, EncodingCoRRE, EncodingHextile
(it's not sending EncodingRaw -- I'll doublecheck original source to see if
I need to send that explicitly; I assume it's always implicit)

--
Steve