Re: [NTLK] handwriting recognition

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 09:16:56 EDT

From: peter brigg <pbrigg_at_uoguelph.ca>
Subject: [NTLK] handwriting recognition
--snip--
Palm-Handspring family also has a decent handwriting software. The one I saw
was a 3rd party addon.

I've added the following 3 apps to my HandSpring NEO
To supplement my handwriting:

Jot (from www.cic.com) - This handwriting recognition add-on allows real
text to be written almost anywhere on the Palm's screen, in EVERY app,
with "real" letters. The only caveat is that the screen is divided into
thirds vertically, on the left 2/3, you write letters (recognized as
lower-case), on the right 1/3 you write numbers. At the divider, letters
written are capitalized. Although nowhere near as good as the "Rosetta"
software Apple developed for Newton OS 2.1 (metaphor - as Miller 'Lite"
compares to Fischer amber), it is far, far better than Graffiti. I tried
"TealScript" and "MyScript" but neither are as good as "Jot".

WordComplete (from www.cic.com) - This software complements "Jot" by
suggesting completions to the word you're starting to write. For
example, as I write "Wil.." (planning to write "William") the choices appear:
  William
  Wilson
  William's
  Willie
  *several others*
I just tap "William" and have completed the 6-letter word by only
writing three letters and one tap on the screen. Also VERY important -
when you tap a word from the list, a space is automatically added after
the word. It also automatically capitalizes a word after a period.

Inksnap (from www.cic.com do you see a pattern here?) - This separate
program gives me a scrolling window where one can write, but no
recognition occurs. Basically whatever you write/drawscribble on the
screen is saved just as you write it. Perfect for those quick "take my
number" or "sketch a map" instances.

Yes - the Palm memopad app does not support mixed shapes, sketches, ink
text and text.

I use the HandSpring (with VisorPhone) as my always-with-me
pager/instant messenger/ cellphone/wireless e-mail & Web browser/address
book/calendar/digital camera (eyemodule v.1). I still use my Newton for
everyday data collection and overall productive work. I plan to use it
more with VNC.

The day Apple buys Palm, or licenses the Rosetta HWR recognition engine
to PalmOS, is the day the WinCE/PocketPC/PocketPC2000 (or whatever it's
called today) will die. PocketPC may "do" more than a Palm, but $600 for
postage-stamp sized 3 minute movie clips and MP3s (I have a $49.95
portable CD player) is too much. The Palm OS is simple and elegant,
perhaps the best description is an older Mac OS (System 4?) and NOS v
1.3 or so.

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com