[NTLK] 3Com Megahertz XJACK 56k PCMCIA Modem for $20!

From: Gary Zambrano (Gazam_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 19:00:03 EDT

I found this deal, but I wonder if it works...
It's a model number 3CXM356

http://www.svcompucycle.com/3commeg56kpc.html

Modem details:
OEM PACKED
* PLUG AND PLAY UNIT
* XJACK CONNECTOR
* 56K PC CARD
* Manufacturer 3Com Corporation
* Model number 3CXM356
* PCMCIA card
* Asynchronous Data Rates Transmission rate fallback through 300bps
* Compatible Public Switch Network Jacks RJ11W, RJ41S, RJ11C
* Pulse Dialing Rate 10 pulses per second Pulse dialing duty cycle 39/61%
(US)
* Receive Sensitivity -45 dBm
* Ringer Equivalence 0.5B
* Tones Detected Dial, busy, ring back, and modem answer tones Blind
dialing based on timeout periods is available for incompatible tones
* Card size 3.375" x 2.125"

I have a US Robotics Xjack Megahertz 56k - model number XJ1560 and it works
great with a driver I found (Megahertz_PC_56K_1.0a1.pkg). Fast internet,
smooth faxing...but kinda loud.

I wonder if you can use that driver with this modem? Hhmm...under the "Modem
setup" in Prefs it lists "Megahertz PC 56k".

By the way, anyone know about some modem modifier that reduces the volume to
non-ear piercing levels? Please let me know. If anyone needs this driver
please let me know.

I may upload it to UNNA...if it's not there already.