Re: [NTLK] Experiencing Serious ATA 1.0b8-D Data Corruption ...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 01:37:27 EDT

>I suspect any change may require people to reformat their stores.

Actually, I decided not to. I'll probably show an alert saying that
the store cannot be converted to the new format and that user needs
to free more space for that.

>It really sucks that you're going to have to rewrite (some of) it.

I don't have to rewrite anything, I have to correct and add things.
I'm constantly doubting about the choices I've made (and the last
mail Landon (who designed the linear stores) sent me makes me doubt
more than ever), but now, it's too late. I have to release a final
version which works. Maybe I'll try a second format for later
releases.

>OK. That's why I also suggested the user-definable reserved sectors
>"workaround".

Which isn't really possible, because you can't grow this zone if
there are used sectors there.

>[Which means 1.3MB packages that use up 2.2MB of space isn't a solution
>either].

It never used exactly 2.2 MB.

On linear stores, there are directory objects and deleting means that
you only copy the directory object where the object is referred to.
So the pool doesn't need to be very big.
On ATA stores, data and metadata are at the same place. You can't
journal just one or another.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/