Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:00:14 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 01:46 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 01:12 PM, Brian wrote:
>
>> I think we are out of sync a bit, but will be back in email sync after
>> your
>> meeting.
>>
>> But the appletalk is the problem. Must be just serial port on both
>> sides.
>> I don't know if you can set that on the server side or not, I've never
>> played with NTK (but keep meaning too do so...)
>>
>> I have used a keyspan a lot on a USB G3's and that's the only way that
>> connectivity will work with the hardware limitation.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand here. I was thinking that the whole idea was
> to use NTK with AppleTalk, be it on LocalTalk or Ethernet, that doesn't
> matter to NTK. Now, it seems that with 10.1, there is a problem as no
> serial port are available, and because of that, NTK is choking. I get a
> similar warning from NCU when I launch it, but since I can specify
> AppleTalk as the connection, and as long as AppleTalk is available
> under
> 10.1, NCU is happy. It seems that NTK doesn't like this. So, I was
> thinking that we could "fool" NTK to believe that there is a
> serial port
> somewhere, no matter it's real or not. The goal, however, would be to
> use AppleTalk.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Laurent,

I think I understand Brian. Theoretically, if you set NTK to speak
Serial over, say, Printer Port USB, and have the Newt connect via
serial, and have that serial cable connected to Port 1 of a Keyspan
Twin, things should work okay.

 From what Brian says above, you cannot do AppleTalk over the
Keyspan Serial _at all_, and NTK doesn't seem to want to look at
Classic's AppleTalk settings, be they serial or Ethernet. NTK
assumes everything is going through a serial port. It won't even
look for an ethernet connection.

So, it may be feasible to use NTK with Mac OS X 1.0 in Classic mode
with a serial adapter, assuming you're okay with only ever talking
serial.

Brian, does this sound right?

Zac