Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:41:45 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 02:12 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Why wouldn't we be able to use EtherTalk? Like, I don't want to get a
> Keyspan, I have an Ethernet card in my 2100 and have Ethernet with my
> Mac, so I want to use Ethernet. That option is still available under
> NTK, and still supported under OS X.1, right? So, why is the error now?
> I'm not talking about AppleTalk over the Keyspan as I know that this
> won't work. I'm talking about NTK over AppleTalk. However, it
> seems that
> with 10.1, there isn't a single serial port available anymore, so
> NTK is
> choking. I know that starting with OS X, there wasn't anymore a serial
> port, but under 10.0.x, there must have been something looking like a
> serial port since NTK was able to launch. Wasn't this port the modem
> port? I don't remember clearly, but I think I've read that someone
> explained this to work because of the modem. Now, in 10.1, it
> seems that
> this option has been removed, so NTK doesn't want to launch anymore. My
> idea was to fool NTK into thinking there is still a serial port,
> even if
> you want to use AppleTalk.
>
> Does that make any sense now?

Yes, that makes a lot more sense. But I don't see any options in
NTK preferences to use Appletalk over anything but the serial
ports. I would expect something along the lines of this:

Connection:

   Type: Serial
         AppleTalk <- selected

   Port: LocalTalk
         Ethernet

But I don't. Even with AppleTalk selected, I only get to specify
Serial ports ( Printer Port USB and Modem Port USB ). If I had an
option to use Ethernet, I would - that's how I do NCU, anyway.

Hrm.

Zac